Deviant Login Shop  Join deviantART for FREE Take the Tour
×



Details

Submitted on
November 2, 2011
Image Size
1.8 MB
Resolution
3600×2400
Link
Thumb
Embed

Stats

Views
536
Favourites
45 (who?)
Comments
7

Camera Data

Make
Canon
Model
Canon EOS 20D
Shutter Speed
1/60 second
Aperture
F/3.5
Focal Length
50 mm
ISO Speed
400
Date Taken
Oct 30, 2011, 3:49:19 PM
Software
Adobe Photoshop CS Windows
Sensor Size
23mm
×
Fly Agaric - III by SmoothEyes Fly Agaric - III by SmoothEyes
It's been a while since I've uploaded some new pictures. This time of the year I spend most of my time outside looking for mushrooms in the forests in the neighbourhood.

This wellknown Fly agaric (or Amanita muscaria) is a mushroom that lives in symbiosis with birch, beech, pine or fir. It is considered poisonous, though rarely fatally so. The name "fly agaric" comes from its European use as an insecticide: crushed, dipped, or sprinkled in milk. It is a very easily exported species that has been imported to many countries outside of Europe with, for example, pine plantations.

This poisonous mushroom contains ibotenic acid, muscimol, muscazone and muscarine. Muscimol (3hydroxy-5-aminomethy-1 isoxazole) and ibotenic acid are the active hallucinogenic agent in Amanita muscaria.

Consuming the mushrooms in doses of over 1 gram can cause nausea but also can cause a number of other effects, depending on dosage, ranging from twitching to drowsiness, cholinergic effects (lower blood pressure, increase sweat and saliva), visual distortions, mood changes, euphoria, relaxation, and hallucinations. In near fatal doses it causes swollen features, high rage and madness, characterised by bouts of mania, followed by periods of quiet hallucination. Effects appear after 60 minutes or so, peak within three hours, but certain effects can last for up to ten hours. The effect per volume consumed is highly variable and individuals can react quite differently to the same dose.

Deaths from Amanita muscaria are extremely rare. The amount of chemical compounds per mushroom varies from region to region and from season to season. Older books list this mushroom as deadly. The majority of mushroom poisoning fatalities (90+ %) are from having eaten either the mottled death cap (Amanita phalloides) or the destroying angel (Amanita virosa).
Add a Comment:
 
:iconlazerous:
lazerous Featured By Owner Jan 6, 2012
A mushroom with quite a history and you caught those colors just right!
Reply
:iconlentekriebel:
Lentekriebel Featured By Owner Nov 26, 2011  Hobbyist General Artist
Ik heb er niet één gezien dit jaar. :(
Reply
:iconceles247:
Celes247 Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2011
This is a really pretty shot! :)
Reply
:iconsmootheyes:
SmoothEyes Featured By Owner Nov 5, 2011
Thanks Hilary :-)

Since you seem to love mushrooms I cannot resist to :+devwatch: you. I like your gallery of fine mushroompictures, congratulations :clap:
Reply
:iconceles247:
Celes247 Featured By Owner Nov 6, 2011
Thank you! :)
Reply
:iconserephiminelysium:
Serephiminelysium Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2011
:clap: Wonderful shot
Reply
:iconenjoyyourtrip:
EnjoyYourTrip Featured By Owner Nov 3, 2011
How beautiful it is I want to cry
Reply
Add a Comment: